Friday, March 28, 2014

Oh, My Little Bird

Birds have always had special meaning to me as a mother. My babies, my little birds.

For my first mother's day BJ got me this beautiful necklace, a chain with a small birds nest and three little blue eggs. Even then, four years ago, two of the eggs were for our Canaan and Ezra, and the third, for our little girl brought to us not by birth, but by the grace of God.

Flash forward three years. Ever since we have started our process, I have thought a lot about our baby girl and all she's been through. I'm just so thankful of how God has been with her and taken care of her as she waits to be in our arms. One quote from an old gospel hymn, which is now in Lainey's lifebook is "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." He's always seen her, and was always, since before she was born, making a way for her to us, and us to her.

Since we found Lainey, we have had trouble translating her Chinese name. We new the meaning of her first name, but her middle name was a mystery. Yesterday at work, while helping a professor who teaches an introductory mandarin class, I stole myself to ask her if she might help me in solving this mystery.

"Her name is very beautiful," she told me, "it means 'a bird, or a Swallow'". 

I think my jaw hit the floor.

My baby, my little bird. It feels so clear that she was always meant to be ours. She was always the one we were searching for in this journey, the one God had always known would be ours. She needed us, and we needed her. And so He brought us together.


(One of our favorite music artists is Josh Garrels. This song, "Little Blue", is one of the three songs we sent to Lainey in her care package.)

No comments:

Post a Comment